Magnolia Springs is located in south Baldwin County in the southwest corner of the state. It has a mayor/city council form of government.
Governor’s Club After beginning its existence as part of a Spanish land grant in the early 1800s, Magnolia Springs began to attract new residents after the Civil War. Originally called Magnolia Plantation, the town is named now for its many natural springs and its abundant magnolias. A post office was established in 1885. In the early twentieth century, the town was a popular resort with several small hotels. The town incorporated in May 2006.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Magnolia Springs recorded a population of 740. Of that number, 97.7 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 6.3 percent as Hispanic, 0.8 percent as African American, and 0.4 percent as Asian. The town’s median household income was $78,897, and the per capita income was $41,432.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Magnolia Springs was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (19.5 percent)
- Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (16.5 percent)
- Construction (9.6 percent)
- Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (8.7 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (8.1 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (8.0 percent)
- Retail trade (6.5 percent)
- Manufacturing (6.1 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (2.5 percent)
- Information (2.4 percent)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extraction (3.1 percent)
- Wholesale trade (1.1 percent)
- Public administration (8.0 percent)
Magnolia Springs Community Hall Students in Magnolia Springs attend Baldwin County schools; no public schools are located in town.
County Road 49 runs north-south through Magnolia Springs, ending as it intersects with U.S. Highway 98 in the northern part of town.
Events and Places of Interest
The Magnolia River runs through the center of town, eventually emptying into Weeks Bay. It is the only river in the United States to have a mail delivery route. The McNair House is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and the Governor’s Club (ca. 1908) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
Baldwin County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Baldwin County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 2001.