Fort Maurepas was constructed by the French in 1699 in what is now Ocean Springs, Mississippi. At the time, the territory was part of the French colony of La Louisiane and was described in the Annals of Louisiana from 1698 to 1722 by French carpenter and shipwright André Pénigaut, who travelled with the Le Moyne brothers expedition. The letters on the diagram refer to various parts of the fort. For example, A is the parade grounds, L is the powder magazine, F is the governor's rooms, N designates the several soldiers' barracks, and K is the storehouse. The ring in the center, designated O, is the well.