This double stairway is one of the more striking features in the Barton Hall plantation house, which was built during the late 1840s near Cherokee, Colbert County. The Greek Revival wood-frame structure with Georgian elements was constructed by Armstead Barton and, after his death, his widow Amanda Cook Barton. The main house of a 40,000-acre cotton plantation, it was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1935 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It is privately owned and in fine condition.
Double Stairway, Barton Hall
Photograph by Chip Cooper