Vredenburgh is located Monroe County in the southwest region of the state. It has a mayor/council form of government. Dorothy Vredenburgh Bush, first woman vice-president of the Young Democratic Clubs of America and later secretary of the Democratic National Committee, was a long-time resident of the town.
The town of Vredenburgh was originally established as the mill village of the Vredenburgh Saw Mill and Plant in 1910, and the Louisville & Nashville Railroad built a line to the town. The founder was Peter Vredenburgh Jr., a native of Illinois whose father sent him to Alabama to found his own business. The town incorporated in 1912 and featured schools for Black and white children, a baseball stadium, and a church. The mill burned in 1920, but construction was already under way for a second mill. In a few years, two mills were operating in the town. The Vredenburgh family sold the property to International Paper in 1954. The second mill burned in 1962. The sawmill ceased operations in the early 1980s. In 1985, the Edmundite Southern Missions established a rural health clinic in the town and an early learning center three years later. Currently, the forests around Vredenburgh are sustainably managed by the Wilmon Timberlands company and have been designated a TREASURE Forest.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Vredenburgh recorded a population of 191. Of that number, 84.3 percent of respondents identified themselves as African American and 15.7 percent as white. The town’s median household income was $10,139, and the per capita income was $6,393.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Vredenburgh was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (64.3 percent)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extraction (14.3 percent)
- Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (14.3 percent)
- Retail trade (7.1 percent)
Schools in Vredenburgh are overseen by the Monroe County Public Schools; the town has one K-8 school.
County Road 65 runs northwest-southeast through the southwestern corner of the town.
- The Heritage of Monroe County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2004.