Susan Moore is located in northeast Blount County in the north-central part of the state. It has a mayor/city council form of government.
Susan Moore Town Hall and Community Center For most of its existence the town of Susan Moore was known by the name Clarence. The area was settled first by the Robert M. Moore family around 1865, and the family continued to play a prominent role in the town for many years. In 1923, two grandsons of Robert Moore, both doctors, donated funds for a new high school, which they named in honor of their mother, Susan Moore. The town gradually came to be referred to as Susan Moore. In November 1982, the town was incorporated, and in December an election was held to determine the new mayor and town council. One of the council’s initial actions was to officially name the town Susan Moore.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Susan Moore recorded a population of 947. Of that number, 78.8 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 35.9 percent as Hispanic, 1.4 percent as African American, and 0.6 as two or more races. The town’s median household income was $49,375, and the per capita income was $20,224.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Susan Moore was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Manufacturing (34.4 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (17.6 percent)
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (15.6 percent)
- Retail trade (11.5 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (6.3 percent)
- Construction (6.1 percent)
- Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (2.9 percent)
- Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (1.7 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (1.5 percent)
- Wholesale trade (1.5 percent)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extraction (1.0 percent)
Schools in Susan Moore are part of the Blount County school system; the town has one elementary school and one high school.
State Highway 75 bisects Susan Moore going southwest-northeast, while County Road 32 runs through the southern part of town, going east-west.
Alabama Reunion Edition of the Heritage of Blount County. n.p.: Blount County Historical Society, 1989.
Bicentennial Edition of the Heritage of Blount County. n.p.: Blount County Historical Society, 1977.
Blount County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Blount County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, Inc., 1999.