The Snead area was settled as early as 1839, when the federal government deeded land to John Jackson. In 1853, physician G. W. White purchased land and built a water-powered flour and grist mill next to the falls on the Warrior River. In 1874, White built a store in the community.
The first post office opened in 1882, and the town was named Snead after its first postmaster, John Snead. Snead later founded Snead Seminary in Boaz, Marshall County, which has evolved into Snead State Community College. Snead was incorporated in 1966.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Snead recorded a population of 1,034. Of that number, 98.1 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.9 percent as Hispanic or Latino, 1.4 percent as Asian, and 0.6 percent as two or more races. The town’s median household income was $42,193, and the per capita income was $23,347.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Snead was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (27.1 percent)
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (21.8 percent)
- Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (10.2 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (8.7 percent)
- Construction (7.3 percent)
- Retail trade (7.3 percent)
- Wholesale trade (5.3 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (4.0 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (2.9 percent)
- Manufacturing (2.4 percent)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extraction (2.1 percent)
- Information (0.9 percent)
- Public administration (0.4 percent)
There are no public schools in Snead. Students attend nearby Blount County Public Schools.
Snead is bisected by State Highway 75, which runs northeast-southwest through the center of town, and U.S. Highway/State Highway 74, which runs northwest-southeast through the center of town.
Events and Places of Interest
The Stracener Bridge on County Road 14 is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage.
Blount County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Blount County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1998.