Crossville was so named because of the many crossroads in the area. The land surrounding Crossville was primarily agricultural. Mail initially was brought to the community via stagecoach, and the first post office opened in 1867. The first store opened in town in 1888, and the first industry, a cotton mill, began production in 1903. The first bank opened in 1903, as well, and the first school was built in 1915.
Sources differ regarding Crossville’s initial unsuccessful effort at incorporation. Some note that it took place in 1918, but others suggest the late 1920s or early 1930s. The town successfully incorporated in December 1942.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Crossville recorded a population of 1,620. Of that number, 93.9 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 5.2 percent as Hispanic, 3.1 percent as American Indian, 0.7 as two or more races, and 0.4 percent as African American. The town’s median household income was $40,192, and the per capita income was $22,352.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Crossville was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Educational services, and health care and social assistance (31.8 percent)
- Manufacturing (21.5 percent)
- Construction (12.8 percent)
- Retail trade (9.8 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (6.2 percent)
- Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (4.8 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (3.9 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation and accommodation and food services (3.5 percent)
- Professional, scientific, and administrative and waste management services (3.0 percent)
- Wholesale trade (1.7 percent)
- Public administration (1.0 percent)
Crossville is part of the DeKalb County Schools and has one high school and one elementary school.
Crossville is served by State Highway 68, which runs east-west through the town, and State Highway 227, which runs north-south, as well as County Road 24, which runs west, beginning in the western third of the town.
Events and Places of Interest
The town of Crossville holds an annual Christmas Parade in early December.
DeKalb County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of DeKalb County, Alabama. Vols. 1 and 2. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1998.