Berlin is located in Cullman County in the north-central part of the state. It has a mayor/council form of government.
Berlin was settled largely by German immigrants in the late-nineteenth century, likely as an expansion of the nearby city of Cullman, founded by John G. Cullman in the 1870s. The town was originally named Hobart. A post office opened in 1895 but closed in 1903. The town’s name was changed to Berlin in 1914, and the town incorporated in 2018.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Berlin recorded a population of 618. Of that number, 85.3 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 8.4 percent as two or more races, 4.4 percent as African American, and 1.9 percent as Hispanic. The town’s median household income was $52,863, and the per capita income was $17,958.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Berlin was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (28.8 percent)
- Manufacturing (27.6 percent)
- Retail trade (19.1 percent)
- Construction (8.5 percent)
- Public administration (8.2 percent)
- Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (5.2 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (1.5 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (0.6 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (0.6 percent)
There are no schools in Berlin. Students attend Cullman County schools in Cullman.
Berlin local roads connect to nearby U.S. Highway 278, which runs east-west through the county.
- The Heritage of Cullman County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1999.