The Wilcox Female Institute, in Camden, Wilcox County, was established around 1850 as a boarding school for girls. It is the oldest educational landmark in the area and was one of the most prestigious in the state at the time. The academy closed in 1910, and the building was then used by the county school system for about 50 years. In 1976, the Wilcox Historical Society made it the group's official headquarters. The Greek Revival-style building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.