Entrance hall at Sweetwater Plantation photographed by the Historic American Buildings Survey in the 1930s. Located in Lauderdale County, the house considered a fine example of Georgian architecture in north Alabama. It was completed around 1835 by future governor Robert M. Patton and was the centerpiece of a 4,000-acre plantation cultivated by approximately 300 enslaved persons. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, declared in peril by the Alabama Historical Commission in 2001, and is currently in a state of disrepair.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey