Birmingham's Southside Mission began in 1884 as a branch of First Baptist Church. In 1886 the first organization of Southside Baptist Church accompanied the christening of the mission's new building, constructed by its members. Prominent minister J. J. D. Renfroe took the helm of the church that year and used his position to shepherd the relocation of Howard College to the city in 1887. The current Greek Revival church building was built in 1911 after the original church was destroyed by fire.
Southside Baptist Church
Courtesy of Creative Commons; photo by Chris Pruitt