The Rocky Hill plantation (ca. 1857) was located just west of Courtland, Lawrence County. It was a mixture of neoclassical and Italianate styles, and, with its six-story battlemented tower, Gothic influences sometimes found in southern homes in the mid-nineteenth century. The house was considered in fair condition when it was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1935, when this photo was taken. It was demolished in 1961.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey