The Old Washington County Courthouse, in downtown St. Stephens, serves as a visitor center and local history museum. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. The current unincorporated community of St. Stephens is located approximately three miles south of the site of Alabama's territorial capital), also named St. Stephens and now a historical park. The town was named the county seat in 1848, and the courthouse was completed in 1854. The county seat was moved to Chatom in 1907.