The Old Rock House in Harpersville, Shelby County, was built around 1835 from local granite and limestone and is believed to be the only surviving stone dwelling in the state. The builder is unclear, but it may have been plantation owner William Condon and passed through several owners until it was purchased by Willis Clayton Eastis in 1906. It continues to be privately held by his descendants and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Old Rock House
Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey