Shown here in a map from 1820, Fort Charlotte, known also as Fort Condé and Fuerta Carlotta depending upon which nation controlled it, was located in what is now Mobile, Mobile County. First constructed by the French in 1723, it became the possession of the British in 1763. Britain in turn lost the fort to the Spanish in the 1780 Battle of Fort Charlotte. In 1813, it became the possession of the United States and was demolished in 1820.
Fort Charlotte, 1820
Photo courtesy of the Alabama Department of Archives and History