The Dowling-Steagall House, constructed in the Greek Revival style in 1900, is located in Ozark, Dale County. The first owner, G. P. Dowling, was a local merchant and entrepreneur who organized Ozark's first waterworks. In 1933, the property was purchased by U.S. Congressman Henry Steagall, most notable for his co-authorship of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, which established the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and imposed strict limits on the financial activities of banks.
Photograph by Jimmy Emerson