The Col. Montgomery Gilbreath House is a historic house in Guntersville, Marshall County. It was built around 1848 by resident John White and purchased by Montgomery Gilbreath (1814-1885) in 1856. Gilbreath was born in Tennessee in 1814 but moved to what is now Guntersville with his family the following year. He served in the Seminole Wars and then raised and headed a local company after the outbreak of the Civil War. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875 during Reconstruction. The house is one of only two structures that remained standing in Guntersville after the Civil War ended; it is currently the headquarters of the Guntersville Historical Society.
Col. Montgomery Gilbreath House
Photo courtesy of the Guntersville Historical Society