Col. Eugene M. Caffey (left) poses with Lt. Gen. Robert Lee Bullard and his wife, Rose, aboard the steamship Pan America in this photo from 1922. The ship was built as a commercial liner by the United States Shipping Board and operated by the Munson Steamship Line. During World War II, the ship was transferred to the U.S. War Department and renamed the USS Hunter Liggett (APA-14). It served as a troop transport ship and later an attack transport throughout the war and was retired in 1946 and sold for scrap in 1948.
Col. Eugene M. Caffey, Rose Bullard, and Robert Lee Bullard
Courtesy of the Library of Congress