Battery Duportail is one of several structures added to historic Fort Morgan after the Spanish-American War (1898) to bolster defenses. The huge concrete structures were designed to hold heavy defensive guns aimed into the waters of the Gulf Coast. These batteries are now part of the Fort Morgan Museum and State Historic Site in Baldwin County, with Battery Duportail being the site of the first museum at the location.
Battery Duportail Support System
Photo courtesy of Kayla C. Scott