Alston Building

The Alston Building (right) was completed in 1909 at the junction of Greensboro Avenue and 6th Street in the heart of Tuscaloosa's downtown business district. In the 1960s, the building's most notorious tenant was Robert Shelton, who ran the United Klans of America, the largest Klan organization in the United States at that time, out of his office there.

Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division