This Civil War flag representing the 4th Alabama Infantry, also known as Company G, Marion Light Infantry, was designed by artist Nicola Marschall (1829-1917). It depicts a cotton plant and a bale of cotton to highlight the significance of the crop to the town of Marion and the surrounding region. It was carried by troops at the Battle of First Manassas in Virginia and was donated to the Alabama Department of Archives and History in 1904 by the widow of Confederate officer Porter King of Marion.
4th Alabama Infantry Flag
Courtesy of the Alabama Department of Archives and History