Sylvan Springs Community Center The town arose in an area where a few families had settled in the 1880s and built the Old Grove Methodist Church. The town was first known as Hoagtown, for William T. Hogan, stepson of early settler Dudley Goolsby. The residents renamed it Sylvan Springs for a nearby source of fresh water. It was incorporated as Sylvan Springs on May 22, 1957. The town lies atop the Black Warrior Basin and deposits of coalbed methane and is surrounded by wells from which the valuable natural resource has been extracted since the early 1980s.
According to 2020 Census estimates, Sylvan Springs recorded a population of 1,832. Of that number, 86.9 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 7.7 percent as African American, 4.5 percent as two or more races, 1.0 percent as Hispanic, 0.5 percent as Asian, and 0.3 percent as American Indian. The town’s median household income was $70,852, and the per capita income was $27,004.
According to 2020 Census estimates, the workforce in Sylvan Springs was divided among the following industrial categories:
- Educational services and health care and social assistance (17.9 percent)
- Manufacturing (15.3 percent)
- Retail trade (11.4 percent)
- Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (10.7 percent)
- Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (9.3 percent)
- Construction (7.2 percent)
- Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (6.8 percent)
- Information (5.9 percent)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (5.8 percent)
- Public administration (3.6 percent)
- Other services, except public administration (3.1 percent)
- Wholesale trade (3.0 percent)
Public education in Sylvan Springs is administered by the Jefferson County School System. There are no schools in the town itself.
Events and Places of Interest
Sylvan Springs has a community center adjacent to several baseball diamonds.