Settlers began to come into the Grant area in the 1830s, after the forced removal of the Cherokees from the land. Grant's post office was established in 1887, with three potential town names being submitted to the U.S. Postal Service. Because many residents of the town were Unionists during the Civil War, the name Grant was chosen to honor Union general and U.S. president Ulysses S. Grant.
In the early 1920s, as part of a program to build schools in underserved areas of the southeastern United States, the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) funded and built the Kate Duncan Smith DAR School in Grant in 1924. It remains the only K-12 school in the United States owned and operated by the DAR.
The town incorporated in November 1945 to receive funding for the construction of a water system. Grant established a volunteer fire department in 1950, with 23 volunteers. A metals manufacturer is one of the area's main employers.
Grant's population according to the 2010 Census was 896. Of that number, 98.1 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.5 percent as two or more races, 1.3 percent as Hispanic or Latino, and 0.4 percent as Asian. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $39,107, and the per capita income was $19,577.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Grant was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (31.2 percent)
· Manufacturing (20.1 percent)
· Retail trade (9.5 percent)
· Construction (9.2 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (7.4 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (6.9 percent)
· Wholesale trade (5.7 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (4.0 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (3.7 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (1.7 percent)
· Public administration (0.6 percent)
Schools in are part of the Marshall County school system; the town has approximately 1,315 students and 79 teachers in one elementary school, one middle school, and one high school.
Cathedral Caverns Highway runs north-south through Grant.
Events and Places of Interest
The Kate Duncan Smith DAR School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Grant maintains a recreation center, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, soccer and baseball fields, and a town park with picnic
areas, a playground, and pavilions.
Marshall County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Marshall County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2000.
James P. Kaetz
Published August 9, 2013
Last updated August 12, 2013