One of the earliest settlers in the Coaling area was Daniel Black, who came to the area around 1846. He amassed a significant amount of land, eventually donating part of it in the 1870s for a railroad right of way and for a new town site, which he named Coaling. Coaling's first church was established in 1878, and its first post office opened in 1979.
Coaling was incorporated in September 1997. On April 27, 2011, 13 homes in Coaling were severely damaged by an EF-3 tornado. There were no fatalities, although several townspeople were hospitalized with injuries.
According to the 2010 Census, Coaling had a population of 1,657. Of that number, 86.4 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 11.4 percent as African American, 1.7 percent as two or more races, 0.8 percent as Hispanic, 0.1 percent as Asian, and 0.1 percent as Native American. The town's median household income, according to 2010 Census estimates, was $52,286, and the per capita income was $21,618.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Coaling was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Manufacturing (20.9 percent)
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (17.8 percent)
· Retail trade (15.6 percent)
· Professional, scientific, and administrative and waste management services (10.9 percent)
· Construction (9.4 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (5.3 percent)
· Transportation, warehousing, and utilities (5.2 percent)
· Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (3.8 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (3.6 percent)
· Information (2.8 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (2.7 percent)
· Public administration (1.8 percent)
· Wholesale trade (0.3 percent)
Students in Coaling attend Tuscaloosa County Public Schools. There are no schools in the town itself.
Coaling is served by U.S Highway 11, which runs east-west, and County Highway 59, which runs south. Interstates 59/20 lie just to the north of the city.
Events and Places of Interest
Coaling hosts an annual Christmas Chili Supper each December. The town park has a playground, pavilion, walking track, and
Lambert, Alston. History of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Vol. 1. Centre, Ala.: Stewart University Press, 1977.
Tuscaloosa County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1999.
Claire M. Wilson
Published February 26, 2013
Last updated February 27, 2013