Webb is largely built on land sold or donated by plantation owner B. F. Webb, who settled in the area around 1890. The town is also named after him. The area was sparsely populated until 1899, when the Central of Georgia Railroad built a line on Webb's land; he donated 23 acres for a depot.
The first post office opened in 1900. Two stores were built in the area, and Webb and his son began laying out a town and selling one-acre lots. A school was constructed in 1901. The town was incorporated in 1903.
A new four-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1909; it burned and was replaced in 1935. On January 18, 1918, a tornado struck the town, killing two and damaging a number of structures. The same tornado killed nine people in Cowarts, Houston County. A new water system was completed in 1965. In 1995, Webb built a new senior center.
Webb's population according to the 2010 Census was 1,430. Of that number, 74.8 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 18.7 percent as African American, 6.2 percent as Hispanic or Latino, 1.5 percent as two or more races, 0.7 percent as Native American, and 0.3 percent as Asian. The town's median household income, according to 2010 estimates, was $34,650, and the per capita income was $15,124.
According to 2010 Census estimates, the work force in Webb was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (25.2 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (11.0 percent)
· Manufacturing (10.8 percent)
· Construction (10.1 percent)
· Retail trade (8.7 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (8.5 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (6.9 percent)
· Public administration (5.9 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (5.3 percent)
· Wholesale trade (3.4 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (2.7 percent)
· Information (1.1 percent)
· Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extractive (0.5 percent)
Schools in Webb are part of the Houston County Schools; the town has approximately 475 students and 29 teachers in one elementary school.
State Highway 52 runs northeast-southwest through Webb, and County Road 48 runs east-west through the town.
Events and Places of Interest
The Dexter and Main Street Historic District and the Ivey Family Home are listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and
Houston County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Houston County, Alabama. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2003.
Watson, Fred S. Hub of the Wiregrass: A History of Houston County, Alabama, 1903-1972. Anniston, Ala.: Higginbotham, Inc., 1972.
James P. Kaetz
Published October 29, 2012
Last updated October 29, 2012