The area that is present-day Southside was first settled in 1850. Southside proper resulted from the merging of Green Valley, Cedar Bend, and Pilgrims Rest. These communities were primarily supported by agriculture, although some small businesses did exist. Southside had electric lights by 1931. The city was incorporated in 1957, the same year that it constructed its own water system.
Southside's population according to the 2010 Census was 8,412. Of that number, 96.5 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 1.5 percent as black, 1.3 percent as Hispanic, 0.7 percent as Asian, 0.7 percent as two or more races, and 0.2 percent as Native American. The city's median household income was $69,981, and per capita income was $29,186.
Southside's work force, according to 2010 Census estimates, was divided among the following industrial categories:
· Educational services, and health care and social assistance (26.0 percent)
· Manufacturing (19.3 percent)
· Professional, scientific, management, and administrative and waste management services (8.6 percent)
· Retail trade (8.3 percent)
· Other services, except public administration (7.2 percent)
· Public administration (7.1 percent)
· Finance, insurance, and real estate, rental, and leasing (6.2 percent)
· Transportation and warehousing and utilities (4.8 percent)
· Construction (4.0 percent)
· Arts, entertainment, recreation, and accommodation and food services (3.9 percent)
· Wholesale trade (2.5 percent)
· Information (2.0 percent)
Schools in Southside are part of the Etowah County School system; the town has approximately 1,325 students and 70 teachers in one elementary school and one high school. Gadsden State Community College is located seven miles from Southside, and Jacksonville State University is about 17 miles from the town.
State Highway 77 bisects the city north-south. Interstate 59 is located approximately 10 miles northwest of Southside. The Northeast Alabama Regional Airport is located approximately five miles northwest of the city.
Events and Places of Interest
Southside City Fest is held annually the third Saturday of July; the festival began in 2007. Activities include an antique car show, children's activities, arts and crafts booths and food vendors, and musical entertainment.
The city also has a sports complex with softball fields and a community center with meeting rooms that can be rented for private
Etowah County Centennial Committee. The History of Etowah County. Birmingham: Roberts and Son, 1968.
Etowah County Heritage Book Committee. Heritage of Etowah County. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 1999.
James P. Kaetz
Published November 30, 2011
Last updated August 8, 2012