Skip directly to content

Stephenson House

The Stephenson House in Oakman, Walker County, was built in 1887 for local physician Hugh Watson Stephenson (1854-1942). Stephenson practiced medicine in Oakman for many decades and also served several terms on the city council. He served one term in the Alabama House of Representatives in the 1910s. The home features a combination of Eastlake and Queen Anne styles and was constructed from stock plans based on homes in New Orleans. It is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey