Skip directly to content

Thomas Caver Plantation House, Calhoun County

The Thomas Caver plantation house was built ca. 1850 near Oxford in Calhoun County. It is typical of the mid-nineteenth century upcountry plantation houses of the Choccolocco Valley, near the foothills of the Appalachians. A mid-twentieth century brick veneer now encases the house. It was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1935, when this photo was taken. The survey also documented double-log quarters for enslaved persons, an exterior brick kitchen, and a flowing spring.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey