Skip directly to content

Hill of Howth, 1930s

The Hill of Howth was built around 1816 near Boligee, Greene County, by Indian agent and U.S. congressman John McKee. The original structure was an open-hall or dogtrot-style log plantation house that was later expanded and improved by the addition of a long front gallery, wood siding, and refined interior mantelpieces. McKee left it to fellow Indian agent William Proctor Gould upon his death in 1832, and Gould's descendants later dismantled the home and used some of its parts to construct the Bayer-Sloan House in Eutaw.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Historic American Buildings Survey