Skip directly to content

Hawthorn

Hawthorn, in the Prairieville/Gallion vicinity of Hale County, was a plantation cottage that was transformed into a clapboarded American version of a Tuscan villa by a two-story addition and a campanile-like tower by Dr. James Border around 1865. He had purchased the property from the family of J. R. Manning who had purchased some 2,500 acres of land from members of the former Vine and Olive Colony, in 1834. Border later used one of the several outbuildings on the grounds as his medical office.
Courtesy of the Alabama Historical Commission