Skip directly to content

Booker T. Washington Library, 1918

Booker T. Washington Library was organized in 1918 as a branch of the Birmingham Public Library system, the first public library for African Americans in the state at the time. It was located in a storefront on Fourth Avenue North. It was replaced by a purpose-built branch in 1956.
Courtesy of the Birmingham Public Library Archives, file no. 1556.32.30