Skip directly to content

Maytown

James P. Kaetz, Auburn University
Maytown is located in west-central Jefferson County in the central part of the state. It has a mayor/city council form of government.
History
Maytown was named for William Lucius May, a local doctor who donated land for construction of the first Baptist church in the community, around 1910. The community incorporated in October 1956 so that it could compete for federal funds to build its own water system. In 2012, Maytown used a $200,000 federal grant that the town then matched to construct a new, state of the art firehouse for its 22-member volunteer fire department.
Demographics
According to 2016 Census estimates, Maytown recorded a population of 349. Of that number, 91.4 percent of respondents identified themselves as white, 8.3 percent as African American, 0.9 percent as Hispanic, and 0.3 percent as two or more races. The town's median household income was $53,409, and the per capita income was $24,319.
Employment
According to 2016 Census estimates, the workforce in Maytown was divided among the following industrial categories:
  • Educational services and health care and social assistance (21.4 percent)
  • Professional, scientific, and management, and administrative and waste management services (17.9 percent)
  • Manufacturing (17.2 percent)
  • Construction (9.0 percent)
  • Transportation and warehousing, and utilities (9.0 percent)
  • Retail trade (6.2 percent)
  • Finance and insurance, and real estate and rental and leasing (5.5 percent)
  • Other services, except public administration (4.8 percent)
  • Arts, entertainment, and recreation, and accommodation and food services (3.4 percent)
  • Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting, and extraction (2.1 percent)
  • Information (2.1 percent)
  • Public administration (1.4 percent)
Education
Students in Maytown attend Jefferson County schools; the town has no public schools located within its town limits.
Transportation
State Highway 269 runs along the southern border of Maytown and connects with Interstate 20/59 five miles to the southeast.

Additional Resources

Jefferson County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Jefferson County. Clanton, Ala.: Heritage Publishing Consultants, 2002
Published:  September 29, 2020   |   Last updated:  August 18, 2014